Eaton (◊), situated 8 miles east
of Derby, has a history that goes back earlier than the 7th century.
It lies close to the River Trent and borders Nottinghamshire, but is
actually situated in the County of Derbyshire. Most residences however
have a Nottingham address with the Nottingham postcode prefix NG, and
use the Nottingham telephone area code 0115.
a common misconception that Long Eaton is part of Nottinghamshire. The
reason for the NG prefix in the postal code is that all mail for Long
Eaton first goes to the Royal Mail's Nottingham sorting office in
Beeston (hence the NG), and then to Long Eaton's delivery office on
Eaton is referred to as Aitone, in the Domesday Book. The Anglo
Saxon phrase 'Aitone' meaning town by the water, in this case, being
close to the lowest bridging point of the River Erewash. Time past the
settlement by for centuries, but during the industrial revolution and
the 19th century Long Eaton awoke from its long slumbers to
become a centre for quarrying, lace making and other industries, all
boosted by the coming of railways and canals.
1870 Long Eaton had grown from a small agricultural village to a
modest town with a population of about 3000. Its growth was mainly due
to the development of a small machine-made lace industry during the
first half of the 19th century, and the establishment of the railways
in the 1850's meant the creation of Toton goods marshalling yard at
one end of the town and a large wagon manufacturer at the other.
first of the tenement lace factories was built just off the market
place by John Austin in 1856 and by the 1870's a large influx of
manufacturers, especially from Nottingham, had flooded the town. Its
popularity was mainly due to a lack of union organization which meant
wages were kept low, and rates were cheaper than in Nottingham.
early 1900's the population of Long Eaton and neighbouring Sawley had
risen to nearly 20,000 and the lace trade was at it's height with an
estimated 1500 machines in the town.
time Long Eaton was so unimportant that the now stately parish church
of St Lawrence was merely a chapel of ease for Sawley. Then in 1868,
the Victorian architect Street rebuilt the existing church using the
nave as its new south aisle. The church of St John the Evangelist in
College Street was designed by Charles Nicholson in the 1920's.
Pickford of Derby, built Long Eaton Hall as a private residence. Its
prominent position in the town has made it an integral part of the
scene, and, for a long time it has served as the Town Hall since being
purchased by Long Eaton District Council in 1921. Long Eaton
also has on its boundaries one of Derbyshire's public schools-Trent
College, founded in 1868.